Wednesday 12 September 2018

My Reading Speech

 
        Kia Ora koutou Ko Hazel tōku ingoa. Hello everyone my name is Hazel and I am here to talk to you about something that some of you might enjoy doing. Reading is one of my favourite things to do, it’s right up in league with sleeping, annoying my brother and watching TV. So in order to help everyone get a better understanding of how helpful books really are I am going to lay down a few points for you, and if you still find reading a waste of time then that’s your opinion.

I know that some of you find reading boring or a waste of time, but it actually helps with a lot of things. I also know that a fraction of you enjoy it almost as much as I do. It is a fact that people who don’t read a decent amount have worse spelling, grammar and writing skills with fewer ideas than those who do. You might not know this, but reading also encourages empathy, the ability to understand the feelings of another person or character in the book and in real life. I have had the experience in multiple books of taking the place of the main character  such as “Saving Francesca” and “The City Of Fallen Angels”. In The City Of Angels I feel like I had a real connection with Clarissa who was the main character because of the vocabulary that Cassandra used in that book. I learnt to use the same vocab in my own writing to give someone else that experience.

A lot of people prefer doing other stuff instead such as watching YouTube or playing games on their chromebooks for hours on end instead of getting their daily dose of literature. The truth is without reading books you will be sorely lacking in more ways than one. Writing is something that books assist in multiple ways, not only does it help with grammar and spelling, reading books is an amazing way to get awesome ideas, from alien invasions to supernatural occurrences. Technology has also given us access to more books from the internet.

As technology has become an important asset in our lives books have now become available on Kindles or e-books that you can download from the internet. With these you can have hundreds of books in one place at a time. You can also buy books there for a cheaper cost. A few downsides is that with Kindles they only have a limited battery life and if you drop them you might lose more than the page you were reading.

That is why I think reading books is something everybody should do. If you were opposed to reading I hope I changed your mind and if not then that’s okay as I said before you all have your own opinions that you are entitled to and that’s fine. I also hope that each of you learned something new today about reading and what advantages come with it. That’s all I have to say for now. Thank you all for listening.














1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Hazel, I really enjoyed listening to you when you read your speech aloud in class. I understood what it feels like to 'identify' with a character. I also agree that great readers have great imaginations! Kia ora motu mahi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.